Sunday, January 10, 2010

The latest fashions

"This year....fashions are bizarre and common, simple and full of fantasy. Any material from nature's domain can now be introduced into the composition of women's clothes. I saw a charming dress made of corks....


A major designer is thinking about launching tailor-made outfits made of old book-bindings done in calf....Fish bones are being worn a lot on hats. One often sees delicious young girls dressed like pilgrims of Saint James of Compostella; their outfits, as is fitting, are studded with coquilles Saint-Jacques.

Steel, wool, sandstone and files have suddenly entered the vestementary arts....Feathers now decorate not only hats but shoes and gloves; and next year they'll be on umbrellas.


They're doing shoes in Venetian glass and hats in Bacarrat crystal....I forgot to tell you that last Wednesday I saw on the boulevards on an old dowager dressed in mirrors stuck to fabric. The effect was sumptuous in the sunlight. You'd have thought it was a gold mine out for a walk.

Later it started raining and the lady looked like a silver mine...Fashion is becoming practical and no longer looks down on anything. It ennobles everything. It does for materials what the Romantics did for words."

- Guillaume Appollinaire, Le poete assassine, 1916

8 comments:

Jodi Anderson said...

I have to admit that I love the way that the last pair of shoes look, though I could never really wear them, whether in glass or traditional materials.

Interesting photos!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

That yellow (etc.) jacket is pretty stylin'.
~

Sue said...

Well that was fun. I've had some pretty strange things in my day!

Sue

Gilly said...

Those are fun fashions! But I can't quite see them going down well in our rather wet old mill town in the north west of the UK!!

mo.stoneskin said...

And you, being a fashionista, presumably wear a fish skeleton on your hat?

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Oh Gosh, I sooo love the heels with the crystals!! I would love to have some of those!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and visiting and leaving such kind comments. Please stop by often!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

JCK said...

I miss the westside wildness of wardrobe. Pretty everyday in Pasadena. :)

Woman in a Window said...

It has been blown wide open
and made by every kind of mind.

Appolonaire...i am just learning of him.

xo
erin