Sunday, February 7, 2010

Thematic Photographic - on the road

Click to "embiggen" for greater detail

I am re-posting this photo for Carmi's "Thematic Photographic" challenge. The theme is "on the road" and this photo was taken on the road - from the window of a moving car.

We're on Olympic Boulevard in Los Angeles. The large building with the mural is the former Olympic Auditorium - once the premier boxing venue on the West Coast, now a Korean Christian Church. It's framed by the trappings of a different kind of King. The sky on that day was so like the sky in the mural it all blends together and adds up to something greater than the sum of its parts - don't you think?

I apologize to those who are seeing it for the second time in recent weeks - but I think it's perfect for Carmi's theme.

8 comments:

carmilevy said...

I think it's perfect, too. First, if you hadn't said it had been shot from a moving car, I wouldn't have known. Second, the fact that it WAS shot from a moving car reinforces the "road" aspect of the theme.

How cool that photography is so ubiquitous and cheap today that we don't have to think twice about taking a picture while we're being driven around. This would have been unheard of during the film era, but digital makes it easy.

From where I sit, it allows us to capture the in between moments while we're on the move. Which is why I chose this particular theme, and why I'm so delighted you've chosen to interpret it this way.

And FWIW, I'm not much of a fast food fan, but BK tops the list for such fare. I'd eat their burgers endlessly if I could :)

Chuck Pefley said...

G, no reason for apologies! The photo looks great, and your commentary is even greater with the "other kind of King" allusion.

Gilly said...

Great photo! Wish I had such a steady hand from a moving car!

That is a huge church! Are there a lot of Koreans in LA?

mo.stoneskin said...

So the King resides next to the Burger King? Perfect.

Anonymous said...

It still makes me smile, g! :)

Nishant said...

This would have been unheard of during the film era, but digital makes it easy.

Work from home India

Sue said...

I still like it...you had a good eye to capture the sky/mural.

Anonymous said...

nice post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys know that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.