Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What season is it?


Sunday morning I woke up to the scent of flowers in the air. It was sunny, warm, beautiful. The entire world seemed perfumed.

It was probably because our wisteria vine has begun to bloom. It sprawls over the top of our shade structure, and you can see it from the second floor windows. Fat lavender blooms are burgeoning all over it. Wisteria is not a plant for the timid. Ours is perhaps 8 years old now, and it wraps a stranglehold around the shade structure's pillars, waving tendrils reach out and entwine porch railings and chair backs, and the fat, dark oval seeds burst from its green pods and then emerge as seedlings in the lawn.

Still - the scent of spring-blooming wisteria is heady.


That was Sunday. Today is Tuesday - last night the fog on Pacific Coast Highway was so thick as I drove home from my night class that it was hard to see more than a few car lengths ahead. This morning the world is shrouded in mist, and I hear on the radio that an Arctic storm may bring snow to the Grapevine - a highway north of Los Angeles.


Plus ca change, as they say in France.


Still, the wisteria blooms. You can't stop it. Nothing stops wisteria, as gardeners well know.

6 comments:

smalltownme said...

My wisteria just started blooming, too. It makes me so happy.

Cassi said...

I lived in SC for a few years, and the wisteria draped the trees along the highways, and was in most yards. SUCH a gorgeous plant! I've tried to grow it here in northern Illinois, but it doesn't really care for the winter weather :-)

I miss driving along with the windows open and the whole world scented by the wisteria.

Beverly said...

I can stop wisteria, and have done so to my sorrow several times. Now I have a beauty that has survived my ministrations and is lovely and purple.

Littlemama said...

I'm convinced that plant life commits suicide in my presence. I can't keep anything alive! Your wisteria is beautiful.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

There was a house on Main Street in our last town that had wisteria growing on its front porch AND on the power lines along the street. I regret not taking a picture when it was in full bloom.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Ah, wisteria! We need scratch and sniff blogs.