Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A Paletography of Los Angeles - like a frozen pickle!


Much as I like the idea, I fail to be thrilled with the execution. Of cucumber-chile paletas, that is.

This one is from Cascada Refrescante, and it's a beautiful paleta - soft frosty green, and with a touch of the artistry this little South Central paleteria brings to all its products. Here, a slice of cucumber, with its dark green peel, adorns the base of the pop.

Cascada's pops are also generous - they are larger and thicker than pops from comparable paleterias.

But when I bit into it, I recoiled from the sensation. Salty, sour and hot all at the same time, it was like biting into a frozen dill pickle. Spiced with cayenne! It didn't seem to have the slightest bit of sweetness at all. It made my lips tingle!


Now, I like spicy dill pickles. But this didn't work for me. And it didn't work for [The Man I Love] who usually loves all things spicy, and almost all kinds of pickles.

What do you think? Would you try it? There are a lot of variations on this flavor, so perhaps it would be better with more sweetness, more citrus.  I'm willing to give it another try from another palateria - would you?

5 comments:

smalltownme said...

I am disappointed. I had such high hopes for it.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

No, I would chalk it up to a concept that just doesn't work. Too many other good things to try!
~

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Nope. I did however have an amazing pineapple lime chili paleta in Nashville the last time I was there. So good! Just a little bit of zing.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

It looks beautiful (I credit your photography) but sounds awful (again, I credit your writing). Perhaps they should have kept it just pickle flavored?

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

My personal favorite paleta is a gazpacho flavored one, also spicy, but sweet as well.