Friday, September 27, 2013

Thematic Photographic - Large structures

Carmi at the blog "Written, Inc." posts a photographic challenge each week at Thematic Photographic. This week, the theme is "Large structures."



This railroad bridge looms over the Fox River in Geneva, Illinois. The massive scale of its concrete piers lends the structure a monumental majesty.

Built in 1917 for the Chicago and Northwestern line, today the bridge carries Metra commuter trains from the city of Chicago to the western suburbs. The early morning sun shines on the broad arches, reflecting in the still water as a morning train passes over.

Another view
The river bank is now a park, with running and biking trails, and a footbridge has been added to the base of the bridge. Today, this large structure, which has been here for so long, has become part of regular peoples' everyday lives.

4 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

This is an interesting bridge design; it looks to me as though they intend(ed) to add another track or road along side the current track.

carmilevy said...

When I was a kid, I read every bridge-themed book I could get my hands on, and for the longest time I wanted to become a civil engineer so I could build them.

Eventually journalism kinda took over, but that fascination remains. Maybe it's because bridges weave themselves into the community so tightly. I love how you've told that story here. I suddenly find myself wanting to hang around this very span and learn its rich story. Amazing structure, and I'm so glad you shared it!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I was thinking the same thing as Scott (above commenter), who wondered what else had been planned with the massive support structure.

I love it when the community has parks as a priority. The footbridge is one I would enjoy.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

That's very interesting...I tried to google it to see if it used to have another set of tracks on the other side.

The abutments are clearly wide enough for a second pair on the opposite side from where I was shooting, and looking at the bridge on Google Earth shows what look like some kind of mountings along the "unused" side. I can't find any documentation showing that this side was ever used for anything, though. The pedestrian bridge running underneath was installed in 1973 (again, a manufacturer's plate tells this).
~