Monday, July 27, 2015

Summer cold interlude

Neighborhood snapshots
What's worse than a summer cold? It hit [The Man I Love] last Friday, just as we were finishing up our move out of our Topanga house, and organizing the trip to New Orleans, with all its complications - shipping the car, shipping Jack the dog.

When we arrived, he spent much of our first days sleeping, though we ventured out occasionally for meals.


The cold hit me this Friday - stuffy head and stuffed-up nose, raspy cough and an achy feeling.  I'll go for a few hours feeling marginally better, then I'll hit the wall, tailspinning into coughing jags, shivers, and spasm-like sneezes.


I alternately sweat between the bedsheets, and shiver in the air conditioning. Perversely the 99 degree heat outside is almost a comfort to the cold shivers - at least for a few minutes, taking Jack a short walk around the block.

I can tell the disease is evolving, My cough has taken on a hollow barking sound as things really come up. I've been coughing so much it hurts, my diaphragm muscles so sore it feels like there's a steel band around my ribcage.


Meanwhile, our new city awaits beyond the sickroom. It was a good idea to move a full month before my classes start - at least I can grant myself the luxury of convalescing without pressure. I'll get through this, and then be ready to start our new life here.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Summer colds are the worst! Love seeing the pictures of New Orleans. When the heat and humidity lessen in late summer you and your husband in have much fun walking around the city. Take care.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Time to find a good doctor in New Orleans and get rid of that cough. Sorry you're sick. Hope you're feeling better.

smalltownme said...

You were smart to give yourself some settling-in time.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Your hindsight will definitely pay off. Hope you feel better soon!