Thursday, March 12, 2009

Going Fishing


On a sparkling March day, in a town by the ocean, there's nothing more relaxing than hanging out on the pier. If you work in the tall office buildings or the shiny hotels or the retail shops on the Promenade, when your lunch break comes, you head down the roadway to the pier.

Any sunny day, there are always a few people fishing off the pier. You wonder how much time they spend here. Do they have to run back to an office or shop in an hour? Or is this the way they spend their days? It's easy to envy them.


The sun is bright, the breeze is gentle, and you can hear the cries from the Ferris Wheel rising overhead. There's a guy playing percussion on some upturned plastic buckets, and the seagulls steal french-fries from the outdoor cafe.

What if you didn't have to go back to work after your break? What if you could forget about that spread-sheet, that voice mail, that table of sweaters that need refolding, the party of four at table six, the meeting with the Power Point presentation?

Can you put yourself in this picture?

6 comments:

KBeau said...

I could hang out there. I loved fishing when I was growing up. Of course, growing up in a land locked state, most of my fishing was in ponds and lakes. But it surely was a good way to spend the day.

Whiskeymarie said...

I'm so very, very jealous of anyone who gets to see the ocean every day. The smell alone makes me ridiculously happy.

It's 8 degrees here today- I'm just going to go ahead and live vicariously through your gorgeous pictures...

mo.stoneskin said...

I LOVE the first shot.

Please remind me to post a photo of the fishers on the harbour wall near me, it is quite a scene when the waves are crashing!

contemporary themes said...

Awesome photos. We are indeed lucky to be surrounded by such beauty!

shaybert said...

As a matter of fact I can indeed picture myself RIGHT there. When I was in "Mermaids" through the Municipal Pool (at then SMCC), we jumped off that very spot. I was such a chicken and had to be cajoled but I DID it. It was quite a seedy place back then and continued to be for quite some time. And even before that, we would go boating off that pier. Really! There was a winch launch my dad would use on the south side near the end. There were few public boat launches back then and it was that or Marina del Rey. Things have changed many times over the years: fire; imminent demolition; public demonstrations; amusement park; snazzy restaurants. It's quite the place to visit now! Thank you for the virtual vaca! I never before noticed how perfectly the railings match the azure ocean waters in Santa Monica Bay. Blessings, Shay
PS You forgot a quick trip back in time when riding the Hippodrome.

Woman in a Window said...

Your question hurts me. Yes! I wouldn't fish though. Just sit, dangle legs, and watch.