Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thematic Photographic - Sepia

"Thematic Photographic" - Carmi at the blog Written, Inc. presents a weekly themed photographic challenge. This week's theme is SEPIA.

Sepia is a brownish pigment made from the ink of the cuttlefish, or squid. It was used as ink for drawing, but also as a toner in early photographic processing. It gives a mellow, warm and evocative tone to images.

Check in and see who else contributes photos based on this idea.

My photographs aren't classically sepia-toned, but I think the ones I've chosen are evocative of another era and place.

I'm experimenting with a new camera that has a setting for photos in low light, and this shot of carved stonework in a darkened room has a muted monochromatic feel similar to sepia-toned photos.

As does this photo of an oxidized door knocker in the shape of an antlered deer.

We are at dinner in an old building, dating from 1903 and the era of sepia-toned photos. The lights are low, and the room is dim.

The room and the faces are gently toned, almost like a faded, sepia photograph.

5 comments:

21 Wits said...

Very stunning photos, soft and tender shots. What an interesting restaurant was it? From 1903 I just love old buildings, very cool!

Gilly said...

Those photos are lovely! I especially like the dim restaurant - a real sepia photos, and it looks a wonderful place to eat!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

σηπία

Greek for cuttlefish. I just want to see if blogger can print it.
~

21 Wits said...

Oh yes and I think every house should come with their very own deer knocker! I love it!

carmilevy said...

"My photographs aren't classically sepia-toned, but I think the ones I've chosen are evocative of another era and place."

This is absolute poetry. I'm so glad you pushed the definition!