Thursday, May 26, 2011

Breakfast in bed

I came through the surgery fine. The procedure was successful, I had no infection, and they took my appendix out for good measure.

Now it's morning. So far, I'm in a room with no room-mate. I slept fine overnight, and I'm allowed to have clear fluids. Unsalted chicken broth never tasted so good.

Waking up in the recovery room, the first thing I noticed was how horribly dry my mouth was. The next thing I noticed was the pain from the incision.

I am - still, even at this writing - hooked to an epidural catheter that regularly feeds numbing and pain relief through my spine. I'm allowed to push the Magic Green Button if I need more pain relief.

In the recovery room, I pushed the Button four times. But once the nurse gave me some ice for my mouth, I think my reptilian comfort-seeking brain's focus shifted to that. The breathing tube for anesthesia went down my throat (so they say, I don't remember) and because of that my upper palate feels sore and my lower lip is both swollen and chapped.

Fat lip
Since moving to my room, I've felt no need for the Magic Green Button. I'm also wearing a pair of inflatable pads on my lower legs - these are intended to prevent blood clots in my legs while I lie idly. The pads automatically pump up at intervals - it feels like a leg massage!

Breakfast is broth, herbal tea, and juice. I'm told that the popsicles featured on the lunch menu are a MUST!

Continuing the spa-like feel of all this, I just need to look out the window of my room. It looks west over Santa Monica, and there's a view of the ocean.

With this and all the support and good wishes from friends and family - can anyone be luckier than I am right now?


ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Hang in there, Aunt Snow.

All your invisible internet friends are with you, too!

Alexia said...

You look great! I'm glad you're being so well looked after.

Annie said...

I'm happy everything went so well ... You look wonderful!

M. Bouffant said...

Hoo rah & hip hip hurray!!

I remember the dry mouth from the last time I was under the knife, but the biggest drag was how cold I was when I came to, & it was only a quick out-patient thing. (If you don't remember, I don't think they put the tube down your throat until you're out.)

Are you in the UCLA facility @ 16th(?) & Wilshire?

Max Sartin said...

Glad to hear everything went well, and theat you are well on your way to recovery. I agree with Alexia, you are looking great! I'm hoping and praying that things continue on this good trend!

CaShThoMa said...

So happy to learn that all went well for you. I can't believe you are up and about blogging so fast!!!

Wow; I'm impressed.

Best to you!

Hamish Mack said...

You look great! Chicken soup will have you back on your feet in no time.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

You look FABULOUS post-surgery! But I see that you are missing the requisite lime-green jello with your breakfast. My hospital experiences always included that particular item first thing in the morning; they did not, however, include a view of the ocean.

Saying a prayer here for your health. ♥

Albug said...

Way to go! You look great. The Popsicles are a must. Remember when we were kids and wished we could have all the Popsicles we wanted? is your chance.
All your Internet friends are lucky too, Aunt Snow, because you are on the road to recovery.

Janet said...

I'm so glad you're feeling look wonderful! I had those inflatable pads on too...forgot about them LOL!

Monica said...

Helloooooo! Thanks for stopping by and for your adorable comment. Hope you do feel better now!
Sending smiles,

Deborah said...

Thanks for leaving your kind comment on my blog post, so right away I had to go searching for your surgery story. I only remember reading about it over at Mrs. G's place at the time. Our hospital experiences were pretty similar. (Except no push-button or IV pain meds for me, I had to wait for pills. I was really hoping to get one of those push-button dealies; I was a bit disappointed!)