Sunday, May 29, 2011

Off leash, still in the doghouse

I arrived at the hospital on Wednesday. On Wednesday night when I came to this pleasant room, I had three tubes attached to me - an IV for fluids and nutrients, an epidural line in my spine for pain management, and a Foley catheter to my bladder.

By Thursday night, I could drink clear fluids. Encouraged to walk the halls, I wheeled my dancing partner - my IV stand - along with me. I successfully met  the goals and objectives that were set for me - to fart and poop.

By Friday, I could eat solids and my IV was removed, but the epidural remained, plugged into the wall when in use and beeping "battery low" warnings as I wandered the halls.

This morning the epidural went away. All that remained was the Foley - a white vinyl bag about the size of a spring-time purse, that I dangled  from my wrist while walking up and down the linoleum halls. Then, it too went away.

Now I sit in my hospital room - off the leash. I'm wearing clean pajamas I brought from home. When the epidural went away, so did any pain medication. I'm slowly becoming aware of my incision, a tender, crimped feeling below. I think the plan is to give me oral pain medication eventually - but so far I haven't seen it.

Will I go home, or spend another night here? No one knows anything yet.

Meanwhile, I sit here, in the ward that is sometimes quiet, sometimes lazy, and other times bustling with action and characters. From behind my curtain, I observe some of these characters. I sometimes get to peek out at them, or sometimes, they peek in at me.


ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Sounds like progress, at least.

Here's hoping your back home with Jack and husband soon.

Beverly said...

Aack! Tell them to get that foley out of there. You don't want an infection from it.

You'll make it home. You're getting closer and closer.

Thinking of you.♥

Glennis said...

Sorry, Beverly, I was imprecise. They did take the Foley out, a couple hours after the epi. Will edit to clarify.

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Hang in there!

DoanLegacy said...

Wishing well, and full recovery! God bless..

Albug said...

Hope you got home. You can eat better food and get a better nights sleep in your own bed, that's for sure. Hope you were given good meds for the pain, because you will have some for sure.
When my son had a kidney removed five years ago, he spent 36 hours in the hospital! They sent home home as soon as his bowels and the other kidney was functioning properly. I was amazed. He left the hospital and the next day he was out watching his sons play soccer. They took the kidney with laproscopic surgery, no huge scar. Doesn't that sound wonderful? Well, except for the one kidney thing.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Just went back and read about That Guy again. Now I want to deck him!

Just remember, pain meds are your friend. They will help you heal faster.