Sunday, January 31, 2016

Going to the dogs


Today was the Krewe of Barkus parade in the French Quarter; a canine Mardi Gras. The elected King and Queen of the year are dogs, naturally.


This year's king. Weary lies the head that wears the crown
This year's theme was "From the Doghouse to the White House," so you can imagine the number of orange wigs that paraded through the crowded streets. Almost as many as there were dog tutus.


Barkus is a real crowd-pleaser, for families and tourists, and, yes, there are many many canine guests in attendance as well as marching. Most of them got along just fine, although there were a few little squabbles.




I rode my bike down to catch the parade, since driving a car to the Quarter is never a good idea.I'm still a little shaky on it, but I'm getting better and better each time I ride.


There was so much to look at, both in the street and on the sidelines, that I was grateful that I came on down. 

No comments: