Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thematic Photographic - Metallica

Carmi at Written, Inc., posts a photographic challenge each week called Thematic Photographic - this week's theme is "Metallica." If it's made of metal, please take a picture and share it.


What is it?  This is a close-up of a piece of public art, in Santa Monica, an ugly and graceless sculpture called "Chain Reaction." A pile of huge chain links forms the shape of a mushroom cloud, on the lawn before the County Courthouse. It is a warning against the horrors of nuclear war.

I am sympathetic with the concept; unimpressed with the execution.

Whenever I see it, I think of the ghost of Jacob Marley in Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." 

“I wear the chain I forged in life,” replied the Ghost. “I made it link by link, and yard by yard; and of my own free will I wore it.”

3 comments:

21 Wits said...

yep, I can Jacob here as well! They did have a good idea.....but ...just the words chain reaction...remind me mostly of automobiles coming together in a most unfortunate way. Great metal post though!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Your close-up looks pretty, even if the statue doesn't.
~

Anonymous said...

Only you can take an ugly sculpture and make a beautiful picture!