Monday, November 10, 2008

Light a candle

Last spring I wrote about our friends and neighbors' son Z, whose heart stopped suddenly while running on the track at his high school. Six months after he was stricken, he died at home, surrounded by his family. Z was 16 years old.

Today, one year has passed since his family's life was irreversibly changed. They have taken their grief at his loss, and turned it into something good. Because Z's greatest love was music, and his fellow members of the drum line in the Taft High School Marching Band, his family has given $10,000 to the school's music department, to support the band and its members.

Today, his family and his friends celebrate his life by planting a tree at the school in his honor, and holding a big party to celebrate his life.

Z's mother writes in her online journal, asking us to light a candle in Z's memory. I think lots and lots of candles would be a good thing, so - if you're someone who likes candlelight - light one for Z tonight.

5 comments:

San Diego Momma said...

That's unbearably sad. Yet I'm glad there's a silver lining.
I'll light a candle.

shrink on the couch said...

My heart goes out to Z's parents, family and friends. It's unimaginable to lose a child at the peak of his youth.

I'll light a candle, too,

cactus petunia said...

I simply can't imagine what that must be like.
My candle is lit, and my prayers are with them.

JCK said...

What a beautiful boy he must have been and a remarkable family. A special gift for the school.

Lighting a candle.

Kathy Rogers said...

Such a sad thing. And while my inclination is ALWAYS to curse the darkness, I could light a candle, too.