Monday, May 28, 2012

Less than a month

Le Palais Royal, Paris
 It's time to make "to-do" lists.

In less than a month, we're going on a journey. We fly from LAX to Paris, then change planes for Venice. We spend a week in Venice, then we'll take the train over the Alps to Paris, with a night's stop in Lausanne, and then a few days' stop in Dijon to visit our friend Nancy.

We'll be in Paris for a few more days, then we'll take the Chunnel to London and visit our son.

I've been preparing myself for this trip by reading lots of books - not just tour guides, but literature like Hemingway, Henry James, Donna Leon and M. F. K. Fisher. Even so, it has all felt rather unreal for me, until now - we're so close. It's a celebration of [The Man I Love] and my 25th wedding anniversary.

We've never been to Venice, but it's going to be my second trip to Paris, [The Man I Love]'s third. As for London, we've been several times.

We'd love to hear your tips and suggestions - what "do not miss" suggestions do you have for us?

6 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I've been to Paris (sans children even!) and to London (2 preschoolers and a baby) but never to Venice. Take lots of pictures to share with us! And happy anniversary!

smalltownme said...

How wonderful! Enjoy!

Cheri @ Blog This Mom!® said...

Yay! Actually, your suggestion for us in Paris was one of our favorites - Le Train Bleu

So ... here's a wee out of the way spot, not near as fancy, but had great crepes, including my FAVORITE CREPE EVER, with seared foie gras: La Cidrerie du Marais, in the 4th, at 4 rue Sevigne. Also in the 4th, for Italian Food (no, really; get whatever they are putting truffles on that night), Soprano at 5 rue Caron. The server/hostess is a whimsical treat. Très AWESOME. And, finally, macarons from Ladurée in a take-away box that you will bring home for me. WHAT? Well, that's just Paris. One of my favorite things in London was seeing Princess Di's gowns at Kensington Palace, walking through the Diana Memorial Playground next door, and then popping over to The Orangery. That's one thing in London. I've never been to Venice. The trip sounds incredible. Congratulations on 25 years! I can't wait to read about the trip. Godspeed!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

We'd love to hear your tips and suggestions - what "do not miss" suggestions do you have for us?

Have fun! I've never even been across the Atlantic, meself...
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Venice has a sorta unreal quality to it- it's like a fly trapped in amber in a lot of ways. Make sure you take a ride on a vaporetto, if you want a gondola ride, there are some "commuter gondolas" that cross the main canal. As far as food goes, pasta with cuttlefish in their ink (seppia) is one dish I heartily suggest.

Congrats on 25 years together.

Jackie Owens said...

I've never been to Venice, but have always wanted to go.

In London and Paris - there is so much. The Courtald is a small gallery that people don't always go to, in London, and then the theatre district - well, I could just hang out there and in parks and be set.

It's been too long since I was in Paris. In both cities, though, some of my favorite memories are of just wandering, and stopping in a cafe for tea, then wandering some more.

Happy anniversary! Have a great trip - and I can't wait to see the photos!