Friday, September 25, 2015

School Daze

Picture of the Creole Queen on the Mississippi - just because

I have three classes; one at 11:00 am, and one at 4:30, on both Tuesday and Thursday. On Tuesdays only, I also have a 6:00 pm class. This means that I have some time between classes, about four hours. It's enough time to go home - especially since New Orleans is geographically so compact. My commute to school takes about 20 minutes by car.

So on Tuesdays, I go home for lunch and to study. Maybe even take a nap if I want. But on Thursdays, I have lunch on campus, and try to find a comfy place to settle in with my laptop or books. There is a facility with a food court and a bar (an actual bar!) just a few steps from the building all my classes are in, and it's pretty convenient. I actually typed this from there.

The only drawback is the music.

Piped through the entire facility - even its outside patio - is a Pandora music channel that, maddeningly, seems to play the same dozen or so songs on repeat. I don't know the name of any of the songs, but after three weeks of the semester, their ear-worms have invaded my brain.

The songs are relentlessly pop, young, anthem-like, and feature an array of digitally manipulated effects, including auto-tune, which makes my skin crawl.

I guess I need earplugs!

No comments: