Saturday, October 8, 2016

Dragonfly love


Today at the Fall Garden Festival at the City Park Botanical Garden, I took a photo of these two dragonflies mating among the lilies in the pond.

Dragonfly copulation is complicated, and I don't want to go into all the details here. Let's just say that this pair spent a lovely afternoon together before going on their separate ways.

When I related this story to friends, I was told that in New Orleans, they call dragonflies "mosquito hawks."

Go on, you crazy kids!


3 comments:

smalltownme said...

Love is beautiful.

David Duff said...

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked, is there no end to the depravity prevalent in New Orleans?

cookingwithgas said...

They will eat the heck out of mosquitoes as well as butterflies if they can get them. Worth their weight in gold. We have many here and I love chasing them around with a camera.