Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sizzling


It's hot. After a summer of fog and gloom, the heat is here. Yesterday it was 104 degrees at our house - and the power went out. This morning, at six-thirty, the sky was bright and almost vibrating with heat.

Here, the setting moon hangs in a cloudless sky over the baked mountains and a dead pine tree.

What's amazing to me is how different it is at the beach. Here it's still warm, but it's about 70 degrees instead of 97 at my home, just 6 miles inland.
The sun is still relentless. They say it's going to break tomorrow. How's the weather where you are?

7 comments:

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

That must be brutal, coming on the heels of a cool summer!

Anonymous said...

After a very hot & humid summer (I stopped counting after 52 days of 90+ degree weather, not counting the DC humidity) I am relieved to report that we are in the mid-80's today. We haven't had such cool weather since early June.
This is our 3rd year of water restrictions. The only reason our lawn has any green is thanks to the recent rainstorm.

Hope the fact you posted means your power came back on!
A/C cannot be overrated.

MAYBELLINE said...

Since I am way farther inland than you...I am way farther up the thermometer.

Ellen Bloom said...

Cool and breezy in Santa Monica...not too hot at all!

Where I live, Mid-City L.A....that's another story!!!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

It finally cooled off in Columbus, number 2 bedbug city in the US of A.

Hurray, Cincinnati!
~

Wusel's... said...

Oh wonderful.....it's cold and rainy in Germany...nice to see such wunderful pictures. Make me smile!
:-)

cactus petunia said...

We're still waiting for real summer up here in Portland. Had three or four 90ยบ + degree days, but now it's back to being cloudy and cool. The tomatoes in my garden are not happy, but I DO have lots of zucchini!