Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Meeting my Secret Boyfriend - at last!

Famed Blogger Mrs. G. has introduced the internet to the concept of a Secret Boyfriend - that is, one's unrequited love cherished only in one's fantasy life. A couple years ago, Mrs. G. asked her readers to write about their Secret Boyfriends, and you can read my post HERE and HERE.

Brian Stokes Mitchell
My Secret Boyfriend is Brian Stokes Mitchell, a talented singer and actor that I actually worked with, but never met face to face - because, as I wrote earlier:
Now here's the odd thing about it. Despite the fact that I worked maybe 50 shows with him, I've never met Stokes. He's never met me. Spotlight operators are the most unknown people in the company. By the time "places" are called, we're up in the ceiling where no one can see us. We can't come downstairs until the final bows are over and everyone's gone.
A few Sundays ago, thanks to my REAL Boyfriend, [The Man I Love], who pulled a few strings with some connections he has, I got to actually sit in a theatre seat and see my Secret Boyfriend perform.

And what a wonderful performance it was! It opened with this classic song:



That was followed by 90 minutes ranging from showtunes to classics to a little jazz. At one point, in recognition of the wonderful acoustics of the beautiful Eli and Edythe Broad Stage at Santa Monica College, the microphones were turned off, and he and the pianist performed "This Nearly Was Mine" from the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical "South Pacific" - completely acoustically.

For a taste of what it sounded like, go watch this YouTube video. (sorry, it won't allow embedding).

After the show, we were invited to a small reception at a local restaurant, and I finally got to meet my Secret Boyfriend in person.

Which boyfriend is cuter?
 Stokes was very gracious, and generous with his time - spending a few moments with each person at the reception and allowing photos. What a class act! If he comes to your town - buy a ticket and see what I'm talking about.

9 comments:

smalltownme said...

What a dream, both the evening and the men involved.

Linda said...

Oh I think I am have fainted meeting someone so special must have been an exciting event for you.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Generous, gracious, and a class act = superb secret boyfriend material. Having one's own beloved husband arrange the evening? Priceless!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

That is awesome! What a nice evening, and shared with two wonderful men! Now only if my imaginary husband would introduce me to George Clooney, my secret boyfriend. :)

Annie said...

You have chosen well on both counts ...

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Nice choice of boyfriend both real and secret. What a glorious voice! I think I may have misunderstood Mrs. G's directives, however, since I have several secret boyfriends....

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

And I can see that I'll be spending some quality time on YouTube tonight listening to yours!

Sheila said...

Similar to the " "Free Pass" if you ever had the chance" idea...?

Anonymous said...

You run a spotlight? How cool!
Jenny