Sunday, March 24, 2013

Modern socializing


I just heard a story from a friend about an after-work drinks get-together that went awry.

Two colleagues both agreed to meet at a certain bar in Los Angeles, in a neighborhood where there are several glossy restaurants-and-bars that cater to the executive crowd having power lunches or cocktails.

My friend arrived at the ABC restaurant, sat at the bar and ordered his drink, a martini. His colleague texted him that he was running late, and asked him to order him a Manhattan. My friend ordered a top-shelf Manhattan for his tardy colleague, and waited.

As they texted back and forth, time passed. The top-shelf Manhattan sat, dewy and dripping onto its cocktail napkin, on the bar, untouched.

"What R U having?" texted the colleague. "Martini" my friend answered.

Finally - "Where R U?" and the answer revealed that the colleague was sitting at the XYZ bar, directly across the street, an untouched martini dripping its cool sweat onto a napkin in front of the empty stool beside him.

4 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

So they each had a martini and a Manhattan and went home?
~

Janet said...

lol I've done that with friends, at movie theaters! Where are you, it's getting close to the movie time? I'm at the theater, where are you? I'M at the theater, I don't see you! Um...what theater are you at? I'm in Lowell! I'm in Burlington! Doh!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

GULP!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Hahahaha... but only because it isn't me!