Friday, August 22, 2014

Updates

Flowers in the dunes at San Buenaventura beach
Sorry for the diminished postings. I've found my current day-to-day life uninspiring, while at the same time being riveted to current affairs. What's been happening in Ferguson, MO is polarizing, and this isn't the blog to discuss it.

Here's what's happening in my life:

  1. Our son's summer is coming to an end and he will be moving to the Bay area soon, for his PhD. work. He's looking for a place to live. He'll be couch-surfing for a little while, but I know he'll get settled soon. And then we can visit!
  2. The drought continues, and now, in August, heat. We're trying to stay cool
  3. [The Man I Love] has made a big step toward healthy living. He's got a regular exercise routine going now. I, on the other hand, am still lazy.
  4. At work, back in February, our Division Manager took a new job in our organization. They began a search for her replacement, hiring an Interim Manager during the, well, interim. Apparently, the search was unsuccessful; no one has been hired. They've asked the Interim Manager to stay on, but for a finite period. So what that means, I suspect, is a re-organization. Having been through one already, I am hunkering down, and scheduling a meeting with Calpers, our retirement agency.
  5. I've decided for sure that I am going to try to go back to graduate school and get an MFA degree in Creative Writing. I've got four or five schools picked out. I'm reviewing their application procedures, and starting to contact people who can write me letters of reference. If I get accepted, it will be to start in Autumn, 2015. Application deadline is January, 2015. 
What's up with you guys?

3 comments:

Cheri @ Blog This Mom!® said...

Wow! There's a lot of exciting news packed in there. Where in the Bay Area? My oldest daughter lives up there. She just finished her Master's last year. Good for [The Man [You] Love]! And WOW! MFA in Creative Writing. You've got the goods for that in spades.

I'm just writing, hanging out with my kid and husband, and writing.

:-)

Kizz at 117 Hudson said...

Going back to school is HUGE!

What isn't up here? Been hanging with dogs and traveling a tiny bit and going to work and taking delicious naps where I can get them.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Good for you for going back to school. You're such a gifted writer, an MFA seems like the perfect fit.

I have a week and a half left before orchestra season starts (which mean driving all over the state) so I am cooking and finishing up house projects. Whatever doesn't get finished now has to wait until next summer. Someone should probably clean the house too...

Good luck with your job. Sorry that you are heading into this same drama again.