Thursday, June 10, 2010

In the garden now

Blooming in my garden right now are these three very different roses.


'Abbaye de Cluny' is a modern rose of the group called Romantica - French bred in the mid 1990s, it's the offspring of one of my favorite Hybrid Tea roses, 'Just Joey.' Its huge flowers are high-centered like Hybrid Teas, yet full and rounded like old Bourbons. It's the color of an orange creamsicle, and has a light fragrance. For me, in our coastal June Gloom, it tends to "ball" - where the petals fail to open and shrivel in the bud. Yet here's a perfect bloom. Later in the summer it comes into its own.

'Lavender Lassie' is a shrub rose introduced in 1960. Its ruffly cool pink blossoms are strongly fragrant.

'Sombreuil' is an old climbing Tea rose, dating from the early 19th century. Its flowers are creamy vanilla-white, flat-faced and fully double, and quartered as many old roses are. Here, it grows on my fence and its canes reach up and twine through the oaks. It is strongly scented, and honeyed. I grew this rose in Seattle, and had to have it here, too. It's one of my favorites.

5 comments:

Gilly said...

I just love "Sombreuil" - I've always loved the creamy apricot coloured roses and especially the old ones. It must look so beautiful climbing up among bigger trees.

Blondie's Journal said...

I think it takes a very talented person to grow roses. I have never been good at it and I have tried because they are so lovely. Yours are just gorgeous!!

xoxo
Jane

cactus petunia said...

Could you please tell my "Lavender Lassie" that she's a shrub rose? She's currently threatening to climb over the front fence onto the deck, and take over...but she sure does smell lovely, and blooms like crazy all summer long!

Barbara said...

What beautiful roses. I have Abbaye de Cluny too. It's not blooming right now. Maybe later, I hope.

Unknown said...

So very beautiful! Just stunning.