Sunday, March 15, 2015

Super Sunday

At the Barkus Parade, Mardi Gras 2011
On the Sunday before St. Joseph's Day (March 19), the Mardi Gras Indians of New Orleans, traditional African-American social organizations paying homage to Native Americans, parade in the streets of the City.  Each member creates and wears his own costume, elaborately beaded and feathered garb fantastically based on Plains Indian attire.

Each group dances and sings and have mock battles with one another, vying for the best, most elaborate celebration of joy and revelry.

Super Sunday is truly a day of celebration, especially for someone who JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW ORLEANS CREATIVE WRITING MFA PROGRAM!

Wild Tchopatoulas gonna stomp some rump!

16 comments:

Mingus said...

WOOO-HOOOO!!!

My grandma and your grandma,
were sittin' by the fire,
My grandma told your grandma:
"I'm gonna set your flag on fire"

Jockamo fee nané!

franinoz said...

Yay! I hoped when I saw the title of today's entry (well, yesterday for me)that it was good news. Very many congratulations. Franinoz

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!

Mrs. G. said...

OH MY GOD! That is amazing.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

What fantastic news! Congratulations!

Nancy H. said...

Congratulations! Wonderful news. My daughter loved living in NOLA for four years.

another sue said...

Absolutely thrilled for and with you! Congratulations!

Janet said...

Fantastic news!!!

David Duff said...

Well, congratulations, I suppose, but I fear for you under the dread influence of 'literary' professors.

David Duff said...

And please do read this from someone across the other side of 'no man's land':

http://www.thestranger.com/books/features/2015/02/27/21792750/things-i-can-say-about-mfa-writing-programs-now-that-i-no-longer-teach-in-one

Glennis said...

Mr. Duff, you are not my friend, and I do not value your unsolicited advice.

It is not your place to "fear for" me. Please do me the courtesy of keeping your thoughts about my life choices to yourself.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Congrats, Aunt Snow!
~

David Duff said...

I wasn't claiming friendship, I'm much too Anglicized for that sort of thing particularly when, er, we haven't even been properly introduced! (That was irony, of course, as your new professors will tell you in excruciating detail.)

Just because we have different political views doesn't mean we cannot converse on neutral matters like good books and good writers about which, I fear, you will not learn anything very useful from most Eng. Lit. Profs.

But what do I know? I only have a Third Class degree from the University of Life!

Jenny said...

Woo hoo indeed!
I do agree with Mr. Duff to the extent that I like your writing style already.
Onward and upward!

Tiffany said...

Congratulations!!!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Congratulations! Such great news and well deserved. Can't wait to see the restaurant posts from NOLA!