Saturday, July 11, 2015

Tribute to Elvis

 

It was a little bar in the Mission District in San Francisco. We stopped in for a drink. At first, the bartender was surly, but after some conversation, he warmed up.

The place crafts its own bitters and infusions. One drink was all we wanted, but as we sipped our first concoction, we perused the cocktail menu. We decided we could not leave without trying the Elvis Old Fashioned.


We ordered one to share.


It arrived in a glass with a single cube of artisanal ice (yikes! Is that a thing?). I totally got the bacon-infusion, and maybe the cacao. If you really asked me to stretch it, I could maybe say I got the peanut. But the banana? Nope. Not a whiff.

As drinks goes, it was a sweet Old Fashioned, and quite fine. But as a memory of Elvis? The King has left the building.

3 comments:

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

It arrived in a glass with a single cube of artisanal ice (yikes! Is that a thing?).

Yeah, it is. Thanks, Obama, I mean hipsters!

I've toyed with the idea of making my own tonic water, but not my own bitters. I have made homemade orgeat, though.

Glennis said...

It's going around, BBBB. My son is making his own bitters.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

The bacon-infusion might taste okay, but the rest of it? I'm pretty sure I'd skip it.
Artisanal ice... good grief!