Sunday, February 12, 2012

Birth control - Look who's talking?


Well, lots of politicians  and public figures are discussing the issue of health insurance benefits that cover oral contraception. Lots of voices.

Mitch McConnell. Paul Ryan. Timothy Dolan, of the US Council of Catholic Bishops. President Obama. Mitt Romney. Rick Santorum. Catholic League president William Donohue. Family Research Council president Tony Perkins. Jon O'Brian, head of Catholics for Choice. White House Chief of Staff Jacob Lew. Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska. David Axelrod. Nicholas Kristoff, New York Times columnist, and his colleague David Brooks.

They're all on TV, they're writing op-eds, they're on the Sunday morning news shows, they're speaking at CPAC, they're being interviewed.

Notice anything they all have in common?

They're not women.

Why is the debate over our nation's insurance policies regarding women's reproductive health care being conducted almost exclusively by men?  Why isn't the media talking to women?

8 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Ladyparts are too important to be trusted to ladies, apparently.
~

Gilly said...

Because they think they own our reproductive capacities.

Because they are in positions of authority and can do what they like!

I don't want men to consult me, or talk about me. Women should initiate these discussions and only ask men to join in if they (the men) have something sensible and non-patronising to say.

Do I sound angry? You bet!! And I'm not even in the USA. We have similar scenarios over in the UK. Grrr!!

Cassi said...

What a great question! Just illustrates so well who is in power. It also illustrates how the people and organizations most interested in restricting women's rights are men or paternalistic organizations.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I really think that, politically, 2012 is going to be a big year for women. While the MSM prattles on about the goddamn bishops, 98% of Catholic women have used birth control at one point in their lives.

If the GOP runs on limiting access to contraception, that's the beach they'll die on... it can't help the long-time prospects of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church much either.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I ask myself that question on an hourly basis.

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

OMG! I just blogged about this yesterday too! It's amazing how these old, rich, white guys feel they are some how the authority on this issue, when really they are just sexually repressed and probably barely know what our lady parts do anyways. Argh!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

all those Popes, Cardinals, bishops, priests in their skirts, supposedly celibate, trying to call the shots for women, what a FUCHED up world we live in sometimes

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I love you for writing this post and I now love Gilly (whom I've never met) for her answers.

I'm still astounded and cringing from hearing that my son's future FIL thinks b.c. pills are the same as getting an abortion. (He's one of those "experts" on anything and everything.) I'd worry more if my future DIL believed him. It's not my place to discuss family planning with the 2 lovebirds so I'm keeping my mouth shut.
Now if all those men would just do the same!!