Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reading homework

Bridal shop, S. Broadway, downtown Los Angeles
 And just as I sit down and work on mes devoirs (my French homework) I have an assignment for you.

I don't know Amanda Ching. Never heard of her before this morning. But she's a helluva writer. 

If you are following the political discussion about contraception, "personhood" legislation, and the recent attempts by the state of Virginia to mandate unnecessary medical procedures for women, you might enjoy this short story. If you like science fiction, or feminist fiction, or what someone in the comments calls Abortion Speculative Fiction, you might enjoy this. If you just like well-written thriller-type short stories, you might enjoy this.

ILU-486

Go on and read it, and let me know what you think.

6 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

That dress looks like something a Disney princess would wear, but the chain keeping the manikin in place is disturbing...

I'll try to read the link tonight!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I'm back.
I read it.
WOW.
I'm not normally a science fiction reader, but this story kept me as rapt as one written by Isaac Asimov.

Glennis said...

The picture I chose to illustrate this post with was kind of chosen at random - except it turns out that there are some interesting symbols - the headless manniquin, the chain, the lock - all kind of interesting.....

And, yeah, Amanda Chin is a damned good writer.

Anonymous said...

I read the story and enjoyed it. The premise reminded me of A Handmaids Tale. It is a bit scary, not as much science fiction as we might think, I'm afraid.



ALBUG

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommend on this awesome story. I shared the link on Facebook. Good stuff.

Kristy

Gilly said...

A great story! Sounds so ordinary, but so extreme!

And that's some bride's dress! But who would want to wear that colour???