Monday, February 13, 2012

Starting something new

A confectionery shop in Paris, 2009
Today I started something new - today was the first day of classes at Santa Monica College, where I'm taking French 2.

I took French in high school, of course, and in college when I was young. In 2009, planning for our first trip to Paris, I took French 1 at SMC in fall semester, 2008, hoping to continue with French 2 the following spring.

Things happened and although I got an A in French 1, I was unable to continue with French 2. We did go to Paris - but while there, I was a bit chagrined at my lack of fluency in the language.

So finally, I've re-enrolled. Today was the first day of class. I was rusty, but it began to come back as the instructor drilled the class, conjugating irregular verbs.

My class is at night on Mondays and Wednesdays, and it's just one more thing to add to a hectic life. But....I think I'm going to like it.

8 comments:

M. Bouffant said...

No idea what they have going at SMC, but the Alliance Français may be worth a look.

40ish yrs. ago (Things may have changed!) on moving to Paris I attended classes at the AF there (a very international student body & the classes conducted entirely in French); I'd taken French since grade school but wasn't so fluent either, not having had many chances at conversation.

Amusez-vous bien!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

gosh, Paris looks sooo...parisian in that pic :)

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

as the instructor drilled the class

French marching class?
~

smalltownme said...

Bonne chance!

Tristan Robin said...

good on you!

when we're in Paris, we just float on the waves - have no idea what anybody is saying, in spite of studying French in high school.

... though I'm getting more fluent in French restaurant and hotel speak!

good luck!

cardinal said...

That sounds wonderful! I have it in the back of my mind to revive my French; so far the only action I've taken is to stare at the books on my shelf. Not opening them is really cutting into my progress.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Good for you! All I ask is that you take us along (via blog posts) on your next trip to France!

When we moved this summer, my teenager had to give up his dream of continuing on in German (he'd already taken 3 years of it for his foreign language requirements, but he'd hoped for 5 years). Now he is taking French 1 and plans to continue with French next year.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

PS: The teenager also received a little book in his Santa stocking: "French for Cats" -- which was absolutely hilarious!