Thursday, June 27, 2013

A farewell

Click to "embiggen"
 Only the luckiest of people are given the opportunity to make a public farewell when a transition occurs. I am lucky.

Some 4 or so years ago, a colleague retired. He had, all by his ownself, started a newsletter, which had a good following, and which I admired greatly. So....when he left the office, I asked our boss if I could carry it on in his stead. She agreed, and I spent perhaps four months editing his newsletter while they were recruiting his replacement. 

It was a lot of work, but it was really rewarding for me. When the new person was hired, I helped to train her and when she took over she made the newsletter her own.

Fast forward to now, and my job duties began winding down in the face of closure. At the same time, the newsletter editor's duties were ramping up on a new project. I volunteered to take the newsletter over again, temporarily.

My last edition went out Wednesday. There are only a few elements of the newsletter that allow the editor some creative input - other than choosing which items to feature. But of the purely creative choices, one is the photo shown at the top. The other is the quote that appears under the title.

This is my farewell edition of the newsletter.  It's a collaboration between me and the next editor, who I helped train, again, just this week.

I got some nice comments from work colleagues about it today. It made me feel good. It's a goodbye to an historic institution You can read more about it here. We're closing the old girl down, and it's nice to see that people care.

2 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Your photo does justice to the building; in fact, it makes me want to save it from demolition!
Newer isn't always better (although I did read about the expensive upgrades needed). I do hope that your city will choose replacing with something of cultural value over mixed-use housing and overpriced coffee shops.

We've got an oversized football stadium here in my city that is facing some of those same issues and there are no easy answers.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

LOVE that quote!