Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pink Saturday - Pink Hacienda

Beverly at the blog How Sweet the Sound has a great idea! It's Pink Saturday. Post about something pink, on Saturday. Here are the rules if you want to Get Pink!

Everyday I drive to work along the Pacific Coast Highway and pass this pink house. It's a Spanish revival house probably built in the 1920s. It's just a few yards away from Thelma Todd's restaurant. It's cherry blossom pink. Pink oleander pink. Strawberry mousse pink. Pepto-bismal pink. With green trim.

The house rambles and fits its contours to the slope, nestling down the bluff. A set of steps, protected by an old stone retaining wall curves down to the lower level from the roadway that rises up from the beach highway. Its balconies and walkways view the ocean.

It's surrounded by pampas grass and palms, and big leaves of giant birds-of-paradise plants. A bright pink bougainvillea cascades over the railings. There are potted pink geraniums and herbs. There are aloe and yuccas and succulents. There is a wicker chair on the balcony, big earthenware ollas to hold flowering plants.

Lately there have been workers patching the stucco, touching up the trim, resetting roof-tiles, and adding another course of blocks to the retaining wall. It's nice to see this house get some loving care.

I hope they keep it painted Pink.

15 comments:

Dawn said...

All the greenery around that pink home looks lovely. You don't see too many pink houses here on Cape Cod!

Happy Pink Saturday!

take care,
Dawn

Darlene said...

What a neat pink house...it just looks like fun!! Hope you have a happy Pink Saturday!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to your first Pink Saturday. I am so glad you have joined in with us.

This home is beautiful, and how pleasant to drive by and enjoy it's charm.

Anonymous said...

Love the pink and green combo!

Anonymous said...

It´s beautiful!! Here we say colonial pink..I was thinking about to paint my house in that color!!
Happy Saturday!!
Besitos from Argentina
Silvia

Anonymous said...

Ha! how fabulous that you spotted this pink hacienda! I've probably passed it when we've driven from LAX to Camarillo on the coast. Fun pink for Pink Saturday...

Just A Girl said...

Oh what a darling pink house! I would have a hard time passing that each morning...turning my head and causing accidents. How do you see that much detail passing by?
Oh, I hope you enjoyed the frosting :)!
Have a fun weekend!
Cori G.

said...

Such a marvelous house!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I hope they keep it pink too! I can just imagine the morning and evenine views from the windows in that home. sigh*
Thanks for coming by and visiting me! I hope you enjoy your day!

Kathy said...

How gorgeous! And what a beautiful drive to work you have!
Kathy (mimisgarden.blogspot.com)

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

I love that pink house ! And I wish I could dive down that highway everyday.

Thank you for stopping by.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

What a fabulous spot. Just looking at these restful pics my "writer's brain" is popping out all kinds of storylines. I just love So Cal houses in pink. They fit so well. Thanks for sharing such beauty. : )

Anonymous said...

Oh how I would love to tour the inside of that house. I could live there in a heart beat and I hope they keep it pink. ~ Lynn
P.S. Loved reading your blog.

Margie said...

What a lovely house there on the beach! That's a perfect setting for a pink house like that!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Wow, what a PINK house!! Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie
Angelic Accents