Sunday, May 24, 2009

A surprise

Never let anyone tell you that [The Man I Love] isn't a smarty. He read my PROMPTuesday post about childhood toys and.....

A few days ago we received a package. Guess what it was?

[The Man I Love] went to the Ebay seller I snicked the photo from, and bought the little car for me!!!!


Here it is. It is a lot smaller than I remember - but I think probably it's the same size for grown-up hands as it seemed for child-sized hands at the time I remember it.

It's green and orange. Not quite the same colors as the one I had as a kid, but then, my brother's car was a different color than mine, so they must have had an assortment.

See how it opens up? It's just as I remember. It's got the same rubbery plastic feel and smell, too, as I remember. The little axles pop in and out of the plastic fittings, like any other cheap toy. Such a cheap little thing, so priceless a memory.

I found a couple of toys to take a ride in it. This is the little clay pig that came with a wonderful handmade pottery mug I bought from Gary Rith, along with a tiny Maneki Neko I bought as a good-luck gift for [The Man I Love].

He read my post and he bought the little car for me. Isn't he sweet?

10 comments:

Tristan Robin said...

what a nice thoughtful gift!

Jon always felt a little 'left out' because, as a child, he was never given the ubiquitous railroad set. So a few Christmases ago I got him the biggest complete antique Lionel train set I could find on eBay. He loves it. What is it about toys that we outgrow - and then grow INTO?!

CaShThoMa said...

Ahhhhh. Very nice indeed.

shrink on the couch said...

I can't decide if the man you love is more loveable because he buys you toys or because he reads your blog : ))

Seriously, verrrrry sweet!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

LE PIGLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Old Parsonage said...

You've got a keeper! He sounds soo thoughtful. I enjoyed your Pink Saturday post too!

Thanks for dropping by, come visit again soon.

Leann

Jason, as himself said...

That really is sweet. It is little things like this that give marriage a HUGE shot in the arm. Enjoy playing with your toys!

cactus petunia said...

How sweet that he did that for you!
I love that you gave some toys a ride in it right away. It's funny how quickly we can turn back into a 6 year old, isn't it? (and I mean that in a good way!)

Unknown said...

Soooooooooo sweet I can't stand it : ). Does he give lessons? Lessons in sweetness? : ). The one I love could use some! : ).

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

What phd in yogurtry said. :)

Woman in a Window said...

Yes, very sweet guy. And you, one lucky girl.