Monday, December 12, 2011

Fool in a $50,000 car

Open letter to the driver of a grey Mercedes E350 sedan:

Dear Sir,

Are you crazy? Did you happen to notice it's pouring down rain this morning?

Did it cross your mind that the driver of that 1990 Volvo wagon in front of you might have to brake suddenly, perhaps while hydroplaning on the sheets of water running down our twisting mountain road, or to avoid rocks or even boulders falling from the cliffs?

As a matter of fact, anything could happen.

January 9, 2005, rock on Topanga Canyon Boulevard. AP Photo
 So why have you  spent the last six miles with barely a car-length between your front bumper and his rear?

Sincerely,

Concerned Topangan

8 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Heh.

I've been on both sides of these debates. With single lanes each way, or crowded conditions that effectively result in the same thing, I support your opinion.

But I often run into (oh, I don't run into them) people who have decided that the speed they're going in the left lane is perfect for everyone, and the presence of someone behind them and no cars in the right lane is NO REASON AT ALL to reconsider.
~

Anonymous said...

I would have liked to have written one of those letters to some of the folks on our scenic road to the college on Saturday night. Dense fog, teen driver at the wheel... he at least learned patience and decided that those who were passing were absolutely nuts.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I brake for tailgaters!

Beck said...

I'm a notoriously bad driver. Ask my husband! HA! But I don't tailgate usually. I'm too afraid of what the guy in front of my may do. And can I just say that boulder is CRAZY!! WOW!!

Jen on the Edge said...

What a jerk. (Him, not you, of course.)

Max Sartin said...

Did the car perchance have Utah plates on it?

cactus petunia said...

Some people are just so wrapped up in themselves they can't see five feet in front of them.

CaShThoMa said...

What a jerk. I'd like to know who was inside that vehicle. A certain type does dumb stuff like this. Yikes.