Saturday, August 9, 2008

Pink Saturday - Pink motel

Beverly at the blog How Sweet the Sound has a great idea! It's Pink Saturday. Post about something pink, on Saturday. Here are the rules if you want to Get Pink!

If you're going to Palm Springs, Ruby Montana's Coral Sands Motel is a great place to stay. This classic 50s-style pink motel's proprietor is Ruby Montana, former owner of a Seattle antique and vintage shop called "Ruby Montana's Pinto Pony." Ruby's amazing collection of 20th century antiques, including Western kitsch, Hawaiiania, vintage salt-and-pepper shakers, and Mid-Century stuff, has contributed to the decor of the six rooms. Each room has its own unique theme. The rooms look out onto a fantastic kidney-shaped pool, shaded by palm trees.

There is something so marvelous about an early morning swim in that pool, in the dry desert air, under a clear sky.

In Seattle, Ruby was noted for hosting an annual Spam-carving contest, judged by Northwest author Tom Robbins. About eight years ago, she moved south to Palm Springs, and opened the motel. Seattle's loss, California's gain. You can visit Ruby's blog here. Ruby recently lost her companion of 21 years, chihuahua Louis L'Amour - leave a kind word.

When we came to Palm Springs to attend a friend's wedding, we stayed in the Roy Rogers & Dave Evans Suite, which featured wagon-wheel lamps, vintage cowboy prints, and a classic 50s formica-topped table. With vintage Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books in the bookshelf, it was the perfect room for a relaxing getaway. Out on the pool, a flotilla of rubber duckies bobbed in the blue water.

This is a flamingo from my collection.

For a luscious Pink Saturday experience, I suggest you request the Howdy Doody Goes to Bali Suite, with its pink flamingos. Or the fabulous Liberace Suite, also featuring flamingos.

Some of the suites include kitchenettes, making your stay convenient and affordable. It's close to the downtown area with its antique and vintage stores - yet at the same time its surrounded by the most amazing natural scenery of the arid desert and mountains.

The Coral Sands is extremely pet-friendly.

Some of the tourism websites note that The Coral Sands is "gay friendly" - which it is - but I like to think that Ruby Montana's motel is pretty much Everybody Friendly.

36 comments:

Kathy Rogers said...

I don't know if Louis L'Amour would be flattered or appalled that a chihuahua was named after him.

Either way, what a great name for a chihuahua!

Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday.

I love this place. It reminds me of so many motels I saw back in the day when I was growing up in South Florida.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing spot! I can't believe they leave all of those collectable treasures in the suites and they don't "walk out"! I would love to stay there if we make it to Palm Springs! A great PS Post!

Anonymous said...

You are her best advertising. happy saturday.
Judy

Mo..."Mo's Cottage" said...

What an interesting post...thank you....love the Pink Hotel.
Hugs,
Mo :-)

Gabriela said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

I love flamingos, lovely post!

~ Gabriela ~

My Artful Heart said...

Wow...that is some pink motel....very 50's indeed!

Thanks for stopping by my "place".

Happy Pink Saturday to you :)

Dawn said...

That is a cool looking motel. It looks like the kind of place that would flood you with memories of the past. I think if I stayed there I'd want to go in and take a peek at all of the rooms.

Fun post.

Happy Pink Saturday,

Take care,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Love it.....Perfect retro feel! Great Pink Saturday picture!

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT post. Ruby Montana...what a GREAT name. How I would love see that motel for real. ~ Lynn

Tracy said...

Hello, G! So nice to meet you...Thanks so much for stopping by! I would LOVE to stay at that pink motel--such fun! Happy Pink Saturday :o)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, a pink motel, how lucky for you and happy Pink Saturday to you too :)

Best, Pennie

Nihal said...

Smiling Hello from Istanbul:)

First off, thanks a lot for your kind ''Pink'' comments left at CrossRoads. How nice to meet nice people like yourself, thanks to our hostess Bev again and again.

Exactly amazing motel! Both Palm Springs and SF are on my agenda for a while, and would like to see its surrounding if/when I get a chance.

Hope you are having the Happiest of Happy Pink Saturday & Pink Thoughts.

I'd love to see you again at CrossRoads soon again.

All of my best for you G.

~N in Pink Istanbul

Elizabeth said...

Very cool motel.
I also liked the flamingo ornament.
Please email me
elizabethwix@hotmail.com
if I can help your son out about Morocco.
He will LOVE it.

That Crazy Ajumma said...

Ok,The Howdy Doody suite and the Liberace suite sounds like my kind of rooms!
All decked out in flamingos,my hubby would kill over...lol.
Happy Pink Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Hi g! How fabulous is that. That would be a fun place to stay. Yes, I'm still in the Northwest for one more week and then I drive back to So. Cal. Yikes!
Thanks for posting this fun place with all the history for Pink Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Hola G!!
Happy Pink Saturday!

Besitos from Argentina!

Silvia

Marina Capano said...

Happy Pink Saturday. What awesome hotel! so cute!!!!

I love your post!

visit me anytime...

xoxo

Vanessa Greenway said...

Lovely pink motel! Blessings, Vanessa

Just A Girl said...

Hi G.,
This looks like a fun place to stay. I'll check out her blog.
Have a great pink day.
Cori

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hi , I remember staying in motels like that when I was a child .

Thank you for your visit to my blog today. Come again anytime !

Minnesota Matron said...

The Matron knows where she'll be staying. . . .

Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun! I would love to see it!

Thanks for sharing!

Donna

Gone said...

PINK Motel...cute. Thanks for visiting today...and leaving your nice comments.

~Blessing,
Jan

said...

That is one amazing looking motel.

Anonymous said...

What a cute place! Looks like motels from my childhood. Ruby sounds like a character!! I'd love to go and tour the rooms! lol Thanks for coming to see my pink plate rims today! Come back for a visit any ole time.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Anne Fannie said...

I love it, a pink motel!

Life on the Edge said...

That pink motel is great!!! It looks like a lot of fun!

Kady

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

What a great hotel! That reflection is so awesome.
I'll have to check out your friend's blog.
Happy PINK Saturday!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Your post makes me long for a holiday under the sun. It is winter here in Australia at the moment, and sun is (at best) wimpy, but we get great cloud formations and strange, but fascinating light. Good for pics!

Nancy said...

Wow - I love that motel! Lucky you staying in Roy and Dale's room! Happy "PINK" Trails to you! Nancy

Mya said...

The motel looks and sounds wonderful. I would love to visit. Happy Pink!
-Mya

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I would love to stay at this place. I will definitely be sharing this info with hubby and when we plan a visit for the winter, I'm going to check out Ms. Ruby's place.
I hope you are enjoying your day.

Susan Hickam said...

Love the motel and the flamingo. I'm sorry to hear about Ruby's loss.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of many motels from the 50’s, but much better looking

Margie said...

What a cute little *pink* motel! I'd definitely stay there if I ever got down that way!