Monday, April 27, 2009

Picadillo taco

Today running between errands and other things, I didn't get lunch. But just a block from one of my appointments, I saw a taco truck parked.

I love taco trucks. This one had a nicely painted sign.

I only had time to grab one taco, quick before heading to my destination. When I asked what kinds of tacos were available, they had all the usual, but also - picadillo.

Picadillo is a savory mixture of ground meat with vegetables and other ingredients. The name picadillo comes from the Spanish word "picar" which means "minced" or "chopped." Depending on the region or culture - Spain, Mexico, Central America or the Philippines - picadillo can include olives, raisins, nuts, capers, and lots of different chopped vegetables.


My picadillo taco had diced carrots, corn, lima beans and green peas mixed with the savory ground beef. It was served with chopped onions and cilantro, and a good dollop of hot red sauce. I sat in my car and enjoyed it, then licked my fingers clean and headed off to my appointment!

That's what I love about L.A.

6 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

That thing looks tasty, and it's 6am here, so I shouldn't really have an appetite for it!

One thing bothers me though, I can never eat them cleanly.

cactus petunia said...

I've got a bad case of taco envy right now.

Gilly said...

Can anyone eat Tacos cleanly? I never know where to start, and Mr. G flatly refuses even to try such things!!

But it did look scrumptious!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

CILANTRO too!

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact! said...

Yummmm.

The cilantro looks fantabulous!

Briget said...

Dammit, now I'm hungry for Mexican, and all I've got in the house is kielbasa!