Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A windy day

Wow, we didn't expect this! I went outside to go to lunch, and the wind almost knocked me down.

There's a strong wind blowing off the Pacific Ocean.

I did a quick drive-thru and bought a sandwich, and then drove Ocean Park Boulevard towards the beach. From the crest of the hill, you can see the heaving ocean, deep green and textured with white-caps. I drove to Ocean and found a place to park. The sand was blowing across the road.

I had to struggle against the wind to open the car door. When I did I discovered how loud it was out there. The palm fronds clatter against one another as they toss in the wind. The sand fills the air, and you have to watch your eyes.


Even the surfers and sail-boarders are staying off the ocean today! Our tranquil southern California beaches feel like the ones up north!

I stood out and took a few photos, the ran back to the car and ate my lunch, feeling the wind rock the little car on its wheels.

Stormy April. Hope you're all safe and warm inside.

10 comments:

Crystal said...

We're windy in Arizona today too! We have a lake that I can see out of my office window, and I've been watching the birds struggle against the wind as they try and dive into the lake to catch fish.

Unfortunately the wind kicks up a bunch of dust and pollen and severely affects my allergies...so I'm hoping it calms down soon. :)

mo.stoneskin said...

Gorgeous photos.

Glad the wind didn't roll the car :)

Tristan Robin said...

you're braver than I - I'd have turned tail and got out of there!

but you got great photos!

Woman in a Window said...

I can see it! NOt too often that you can actually see wind!

Jason, as himself said...

While I love these photos, I do not like the wind. It makes me crazy. And it makes students even crazier.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Wow, I wonder what was blowing in?

Queenly Things said...

I love the wind but boy was it chilly up this way. More like fall than halfway through spring.

Anonymous said...

I'm familiar with the "beaches up north" and that second picture was so vivid that I am surprised I didn't feel that wind and taste the sandy salt air!
Despite the palm trees, I feel a happy sort of homesickness now.

San Diego Momma said...

I LOVED yesterday. The wind, the whitecaps, the gentle fury. Loved it, loved it, loved it. I could do with more days like that,

Joanie said...

The wind isn't one of my favorites. It makes me sleep poorly, it's not at all kind, and it chills to the bone.

In Death Valley, we were caught by surprise with the intense winds. Especially in the morning. 35 degrees, plus the wild winds? More like 20 degrees. And only one person really prepared for it. (Not me, that's for sure)

Coming back home, it wasn't so bad until the winds started and now I'm back to feeling unsettled and fidgety.

Da Goddess
dagoddess.com