Saturday, April 25, 2009

Pink Saturday - a pretty table

Pink Saturday - Beverly, at the blog "How Sweet the Sound" hosts Pink Saturday. Let the color pink inspire you!

These days it's just the two of us, with our son at college, and during the week we're so busy we just grab a meal however we can - some take-out, or leftovers, or a can of soup heated up, eaten in front of the TV.

But when it's spring, it's nice to take some time on the weekend to have a nice meal and a pretty table.

When we cleared out Mom's house, we weren't just clearing out stuff from our own immediate family. As Dad's relatives passed away, their belongings were delivered to my parents, just like they had been handed off to them from people who went before. We've decided to sell most of it, but some things are too precious to let go of, like my great-aunt's antique china and glass.

I had a professional shipper pack and send things to me, and it finally arrived. I took the weekend to unpack it, which gave me the chance to get some padded cases to store it in.

The experience of unpacking boxes of carefully wrapped treasures brought back memories, because some of this stuff was shipped to us when I was nine years old. I remember unpacking it with my Mom in our dining room, from tall barrels sent up from Texas. Mom trusted me to help, even though it was delicate stuff, and old.


What I decided to keep and ship to myself was a set of Limoges china, made by Theodore Haviland. The pattern is "Wild Rose" and depicts sprays of single pale-pink roses, like the species roses that grow wild here in the Santa Monica Mountains. There are ten settings each of dinner plates, salad plates, teacups and saucers, and three platters, two covered dishes, a gravy boat and a sugar bowl - that still had crusted sugar in it.


I also kept some etched crystal goblets and tumblers, with their own delicate flowers. I don't know who made them or how old they are, because there are no marks to research.

It's all very delicate and very old-fashioned in style. It's a little foolish of me to keep it - it doesn't suit my lifestyle or my decor. When will I ever use it? Doesn't it just take up cabinet space?


Well, that's what Mom said about it, too. But, like her, I just can't let it go. We've shed so many things from the past already, it just seemed important to keep one thing intact.

It seemed sad to just take these pretty dishes with their frilly edges and pink flowers out of the boxes and then pack it away from the light again. So we decided to set a pretty table, just for the two of us.

We bought a pretty pot of tulips and some fresh vegetables, and panfried a ham steak with some homemade plum pickles. And we had a nice celebration. There's something about eating at a pretty table makes the food taste better, doesn't it?

I can tell that future Thanksgivings are going to be very pretty occasions at our house!

NOTE: I am working all day Saturday, so I'll visit your Pink Saturday posts on Sunday. If you want to know what I'm doing, visit my Sneak Preview post - and then visit this website.

20 comments:

Tristan Robin said...

lovely china - lovely table setting!

HaPpY PiNk SaTuRdAy!

Gabriela said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

I also love a pretty table.
Bon apetit!


~ Gabriela ~

suesueb said...

what a wonderful treasure! i know you'll be happy you kept them! happy pink week!!

gbloom studio said...

Happy Pink Saturday! What lovely china!
Gina

SmilingSally said...

What gorgeous china. Thanks for sharing. Happy Pink Saturday.

Dru said...

This has got to be one of the most beautiful china patterns I have ever seen. What a treasure!! Happy Pink Saturday!

♥Mimi♥ said...

Happy Pink Saturday. Your blog is just such a delight to visit each week. Of course, all of the pink goodies always warm my ♥. This week everyone seems to be out-doing themselves!

Wishing you, and all those close to your ♥, a purr-fect weekend filled with joy, peace and gracious living.

Sit-N-Chat said...

Beautiful. No No Never let them go. You would regret it so. Get them out and enjoy them occasionally.

Have a wonderful day.

Jennifer

Beverly said...

Glennis, I wouldn't have been able to let these go either. They are so pretty and delicate. And, I am a sentimental sap. ;-)

Happy Pink Saturday. Don't work too hard.

Lori Lynn said...

*´¨)
¸.*´¸.**´¨) ¸.**´¨)
(¸.*´ (¸.*´* HAPPY PINK SATURDAY *

Unknown said...

Oh that is gorgeous!

Happy Pink Saturday!
~Liz

Jorgelina said...

What lovely porcelana china!

Happy Pink Saturday!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

A beautiful china pattern and a pretty table!
Sometimes we have to keep reminders of our heritage, whether or not they are "practical."

Briget said...

OH, so pretty!! I'm glad you kept it out and are using it. I've done the same with my Grandmother's china and especially her jewelery. When we cleared out her house we found beautiful things that had sat in the dark for 50 years "because they're too nice to use". Not to me. I brought the things I was lucky enough to inherit out into the light and I use them every chance I get! Here's a link to her china pattern - not pink, but pretty...

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3367576

Susie Jefferson said...

Sometimes you have to do what your heart tells you - and KEEP that glorious china and the glassware! Never mind if it's in fashion, or goes with your decor - Limoges surpasses any design decisions. Even if you only air it occasionally, there is nothing better than using "best" china. The table is more elegant - even the food looks more appetising,and tastes better! Using it every week is even nicer - maybe this could start a tradition! Happy Pink Saturday to you, and I am trying very hard not to be too envious.

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you for not getting rid of it. Somethings have so much history you just can't part with it.

It is gorgeous china and I couldn't part with it either.

We live in East Texas. Where did you grow up?

Happy Pink Saturday.

Kris

fairiemoon said...

I used to have cream soups in that pattern. Lovely tulips! Santa Monica looks divine!

Happy Pink Saturday!
Erin :)

http://www.fairiemoon.typepad.com/fairiemoon/

Claudia said...

Love the china - I have some Haviland China from my great grandmother currently in storage - I plan to pick the china up this summer! Happy Pink Saturday!

CaShThoMa said...

Very, very nice....enjoyed reading about this beautiful old china and glad that you are using it! It's too beautiful to stay packed away.

The pattern caught my eye. I have two tea cups (or maybe they're coffee cups) in the same pattern (I think) that belonged to my paternal grandmother. I just pulled them off the shelf and on the bottome it says Haviland France, Limoges for E.H. Murray Watertown, NY (which is where my grandparents lived much of their life). I'm going to use them! They also are too beautiful to just sit on a shelf collecting dust.

Great post (as always).
kate

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful china! I have always loved this pattern. Pink Hugs!